Dr Benjamin Chua is a renowned Vascular & Endovascular Surgeon. He is also regional proctor and expert live case demonstrator for major endovascular procedures.
Dr Benjamin Chua is currently Medical Director and Senior Consultant Vascular Surgeon at the Vascular & Interventional Centre.
Prior to setting up the Vascular & Interventional Centre, Dr Chua was the Founding Head of the Department of Vascular Surgery, Singapore General Hospital, the first independent clinical Department in Singapore dedicated to caring for patients with vascular diseases. He was also Senior Consultant Surgeon and Director, Endovascular Surgery. He is currently Adjunct Assistant Professor of Surgery at both the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine and the Duke-NUS Graduate School of Medicine, National University of Singapore.
Dr Chua graduated MBBS from the National University of Singapore. In 2001, he was awarded the prestigious Singapore National Medical Research Council (NMRC) Fellowship Training Award, to pursue the Clinical Research Training Programme at Duke University School of Medicine, obtaining his MHSc in Clinical Research in 2003. While at Duke, he was also a research fellow at the Duke Clinical Research Institute, focusing on lower limb PVD in the dialysis dependent populations and the development of randomized trials in surgery.
He returned to Singapore in 2003 to complete his basic and advanced training in General and Vascular Surgery at the Singapore General Hospital. In 2008, he obtained Specialty Accreditation from the Ministry of Health, Singapore and was admitted as a Fellow of The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh.
In 2009, Dr Chua was awarded the prestigious Singapore Ministry of Health – NHG HMDP Award to pursue sub-specialty training in Advanced Endovascular Surgery in Melbourne, Australia. He trained as a Fellow under the personal tutelage of Professor Michael Denton, a pioneering expert in advanced aortic stent grafts and fenestrated devices. Dr Chua was also the Honorary Clinical Fellow in Vascular and Endovascular Surgery at St Vincent's and Epworth Hospitals, Melbourne.
Dr Chua is regional proctor and case demonstrator, travelling extensively in the Asia-Pacific region to teach and proctor complex aortic stenting, peripheral vascular interventions and endovenous surgery. He is also regularly invited to be faculty and speaker at many regional and international vascular conferences.
Dr Chua's active research interests include development of novel surgical devices. He is the recipient of prestigious competitive grants from A*STAR/ SERC and SMART. He also holds patents and invention disclosures for several vascular surgery devices. While at SGH, he was the Deputy Director for Device Development under the Academic Clinical Programme in Surgery and also sat on the SingHealth Centralized Institutional Review Board.
In his clinical practice, Dr Chua’s passions are in aortic aneurysm, limb salvage vascular and endovenous surgery. His drive is to provide effective treatment for diabetic foot problems to prevent limb amputations and to treat aortic aneurysms early.
Dr Chua is also very passionate about his patients. From 2011-2015 he received several patient quality care awards ay SingHealth including the Heart of Gold and the Singapore Health Care Quality Gold and Silver awards. Through the Vascular and Interventional Centre, he hopes to provide excellent care to patients with vascular diseases.
- Adjunct Assistant Professor of Surgery, Department of Surgery, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore
- Adjunct Assistant Professor of Surgery , Duke-NUS Graduate School of Medicine, National University of Singapore
- Honorary Clinical Fellow in Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, St Vincent’s and Epworth Hospitals, Melbourne, Australia, 2009-2010
- Fellow, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, FRCSEd (Gen Surg), 2008
- Member, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, MRCS (Ed), 2005
- Research Fellow, Duke Clincial Research Institute, North Carolina, USA, 2001-2003
- Masters in Health Sciences Clincial Research School of Medicine, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina, USA, 2001-2003
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, National University of Singapore, 1995-2000
- Specialist Accreditation Board General Surgery, Ministry of Health, Singapore, 2008 – Present
- Singapore Medical Council, 2000 - Present
- PROFESSIONAL APPOINTMENTS & COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIPS
- Singapore Medical Association, 2000 - Present
- Honorary Treasurer, Vascular Surgical Society (Singapore), 2006 - Present
- Alternate Member, SingHealth Centralized Institutional Review Board, 2011
2015: Singapore Health Quality Service Award Gold, award for providing excellent patient care and quality service
2014: Singapore Health Quality Service Award Silver, award for providing excellent patient care and quality service
2013: SingHealth Heart of Gold Award, award to providing outstanding service to patients
2012: SingHealth Service With A Heart Award, award for providing excellent patient care and quality service
2011: SingHealth Quality Service Silver Award, award for providing excellent patient care and quality service
2009: Health Manpower Development Programme 2009 Award, funded by Singapore Ministry of Health – National Healthcare Group
2007: SingHealth Quality Service Award, award for providing excellent patient care and quality service
2007: SingHealth Registrar Award, in recognition of being in the top 10% of the Registrar Specialist Cohort in the SingHealth Cluster, based on performance appraisal
2001 - 2003: Research Fellowship Training Award, National Medical Research Council Singapore