Dr Tham is a senior consultant in obstetrics and gynaecology. He is certified by the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists in London as a subspecialist in gynaecologic oncology.
He specializes in surgery for women’ conditions. This includes fibroids in the uterus, ovarian cysts, endometriosis, precancerous and cancerous conditions of the cervix, uterus, vulva and ovaries. He does both open and laparoscopic (minimally invasive “key-hole”) surgery. He has extensive experience in surgery, and has managed difficult and complex cases.
Dr Tham graduated from the National University Hospital in Singapore in 1982, and obtained his specialist qualifications in 1988-1989.
He was awarded the Royal College Gold Medal in his specialist examinations in London in 1989.
Subsequently Dr Tham was given a University Fellowship for the official 2-year subspecialist course in gynaecologic oncology, organized by the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists. He worked at the Royal Marsden Hospital and St Bartholomew’s Hospital in London and successfully obtained certification as a subspecialist in oncology in 1992.
He was a Associate Professor and Senior Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology, and Head of the Division of Gynaecologic Oncology at the National University Hospital from 1994 to 2001 before he resigned to go into private practice. He also held the appointment of Chairman of the Gynaecologic Oncology Subcommittee, University Cancer Program from 2000 to 2001.
He was previously a Visiting Consultant to the National University Hospital. Since 2005 he has been appointed as a Visiting Senior Consultant to Johns Hopkins International Medical Centre.
Dr Tham was a past Vice-President of the Obstetrical and Gynaecological Society of Singapore. He has published 54 articles in local and international journals, and written 15 chapters in various textbooks. He has been invited as a speaker in 11 international conferences, and has presented papers in 37 conferences and seminars. He has also organized numerous local and international meetings in obstetrics and gynaecology.
Honours & Awards
- Gold Medal, Royal College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists (London, UK), 1989
- 2-year University Fellowship for subspecialist training in gynaecologic oncology at the Royal Marsden & St Bartholomew’s Hospitals, London (UK)
Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- Fellow of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (UK)
- Fellow International College of Surgeons (USA)
- Fellow Academy of Medicine (Singapore)
- Former Associate Professor and Senior Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology and Head of the Division of Gynaecologic Oncology, National University Hospital, 1994-2001
- Former Chairman, Gynaecolopgic Oncology Subcommittee, University Cancer Program, 2000-2001
- Visiting Consultant, National University Hospital, 2001-2005
- Visiting Senior Consultant, John Hopkins International Medical Centre since 2005
- Past Vice-President of tuhe Obstetrical and Gynaecological Society of Singapore (1996-1998; 1998-2000)
- Antenatal care and delivery
- Endoscopic surgery (keyhole surgery – Hysteroscopy & Laparoscopy)
- Menstrual Abnormalities
- Treatment of infection – including genital warts, Batholin’s Abscess
- Urinary Incontinence
- Cancer Treatment (Cervical, Ovarian, Uterine, Vulva)
- Colposcopy and management of Cervical pre-invasive conditions
- Annual and Routine Screening (Papsmears, Cancer screening)