PhD (Singapore), DSc, FIBiol,
Diplomate American Board of Sexology (USA)
Master of Science in Medicine for ‘Pharmacology of Human Penis’ from University of Singapore (1979)
Clinical Sexologist / Sexual Medicine & Health Consultant Past President,
International Society for Sexual Medicine Hon Life President,
Asia-Pacific Society for Sexual Medicine
Professor P Ganesan Adaikan PhD, DSc, FIBiol, FIMLS (UK) and Diplomate, American Board of Sexology (USA) holds a Master of Science at Faculty of Medicine for ‘Pharmacology of Human Penis’ from the University of Singapore (1979).
Professor Adaikan was the team lead and head of the Sexual Medicine Section in the Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology (OBGYN), Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, NUH and National University of Singapore, foreseeing the academic and research pursuits of his staff and post-graduate students (PhD, MD and Clinical MSc).
As a Principal Investigator, he was awarded more than 10 Research Grants amounting to the tune of S$4,000,000/- in the last 15 years, which also include international industrial invitation for drug testing / clinical trials. His noteworthy research led to Singapore and USA patent filing and approval for a pro-endogenous compound in the treatment of Priapism, 09/714,614 (1999, 2003).
Professor Adaikan has published more than 200 scientific articles in peer-reviewed journals and over 30 chapters in books; he has also delivered more than 600 invited lectures and presentations in the field of sexual medicine around the world and is a thought leader and consultant to several international drug companies.
He has successfully organized and conducted numerous teaching CME lectures, seminars, workshops worldwide and major congresses in his niche area, both locally and internationally.
Honours & Awards
- Invitation French Government Exchange Fellow at Center for Study & Research on Impotence in Paris with Dr Ronald Virag (1985)
- Prestigious Ginestie Prize Prague (1986)
- Benjamin Henry Sheares Memorial Lecture Award and Gold Medal (1987) from the Obstetrical & Gynaecological Society of Singapore
- American Medical Systems – Excellence in Impotence Research Best Paper Award, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (1997) from Asia-Pacific Society for Sexual Medicine (APSSM)
- Emil Tanagho Prize, Cairo (2006) from the International Society for Sexual Medicine (ISSM)
- President, Society for the Study of Andrology and Sexology, Singapore (SSASS)
- Past President of the prestigious International Society for Sexual Medicine (ISSM)
- Honorary Life President of the Asia Pacific Society for Sexual Medicine (APSSM)
- Past Secretary General, World Association for Sexual Health (WAS)
Through his exhaustive scientific pursuit in the area of sexual medicine, Professor Adaikan established the Male and Female Sexual Dysfunction Clinic as part of Andrology Unit in the OBGYN department, National University Hospital in 1986. He has professionally led this clinic for three decades and also guided and trained doctors and trainees in sexual medicine. He has vast experience in treating couples and individuals suffering from sexual dysfunctions and other sexual issues related to fertility at the National University Hospital.
- Erectile Dysfunction
- Premature Ejaculation and Delayed Ejaculation
- Other Ejaculatory Difficulties
- Performance Anxiety
- Desire, Arousal and Orgasmic Difficulties
- Painful Penetration
- Interventions for Unconsummated Marriages
- Sexual Difficulties Arising from Menopause and Andropause
- Sexual Concerns Addressing Fertility
- Behavioral and Lifestyle Therapies
- Premarital Counselling
- Sexual Rehabilitation for Regaining Intimacy
- Past Sexual Abuse